To fully optimize yourself and your business, you must create measurable results. One of the best ways to do this is by consistently utilizing the skills of a business coach.
Many people that I have talked to “think” that they don’t need a business coach. This comment is usually code for something much deeper. The person could quite possibly be saying that they can’t afford one, that they are not sure they are coachable, that their business is doing just fine, or that they are in an industry that only they understand. You and I both know that this is not true, and that you can’t afford not to have a coach. An experienced coach will coach you to take your business to new levels regardless of the industry. Having a business coach in this highly competitive world is no longer a luxury; it is a must.
“They that will not be counseled, cannot be helped”….Ben Franklin…1759
All businesses and business owners have many things in common. Sales take place, employees must be paid, expenses need to be kept under control, tax deductions need to be learned and taken, and proper structure and organization is a must.
How a business coach can help you
As stated above, business owners have a great many things in common. The successful business owner realizes that there is a need for what a business coach has to offer. Why do you need a business coach and how can the coach help you?
- The business coach will help the client determine what is important and continue to move towards those things each and every day. The coach will often put his arm around the client and figuratively pull them to the next level.
"Strong enough alone, you are not" ...Yoda
- Overcoming challenges in your life and business
- It has been said that the answer lies within. As often is the case, the business owner can’t see the forest for the trees, meaning ways to overcome challenges and turn them into opportunities is often hidden in all the activity of the business. A great coach will help the client think through the challenges and determine the best plan of action to turn each challenge into an opportunity.
"I have not failed, I have just found 10,000 ways that don't work"...Ben Franklin
- Identifying goals, passions, visions and dreams
- The coach will not only help the client identify these but will help lay out a plan of action to accomplish them. The business coach will spend a great deal of time helping the client see that great things are coming, and that it is a process cooked in a crock pot not a microwave.
Coaching helps you develop your leadership skills, clarify your values and guiding principles and build your reputation." - John G. Agno
- Managing your time and schedules, instead of letting it manage you
- Everyone knows that there is only twenty-four hours in a day and that they should spend that time being productive. The business coach will help the client understand what it takes to be able to build a business that does not consume them, while at the same time a life with no regrets. Because growing a successful business takes a great deal of time, the business coach will help the client identify ways to maximize his time. Sales, profit, the number of employees, and new opportunities are all unlimited; the one thing that is not is time.
~ Are you managing your schedule, or is it managing you?
~ Are you intentional with your time, or not?
~ What is one thing you need to spend less time doing, and one thing that you need to spend more time doing?
- Discover what is working in the business and what is not
- This must be done or the business owner’s competition will leave them in the dust. One of the biggest values that the coach offers is his perspective on the business; a new customer’s perspective. The coach has the ability to look at the business with “new” eyes, seeing things very differently than the business owner. Such as:
~ The customer service department,
~ How sales are handled and followed up on,
~ The organizational structure of the company, and
~ How the employees are treated by company leadership.
- The coach will help the client put systems in place to organize their life, business, and future. Systems run successful businesses, and people run the systems.
- Perhaps the greatest benefit the coach can be to the business owner is educating him on new strategies, procedures, and cost saving ideas. Because a business coach works with clients from many different cultures, income levels, business structures, and marketing concepts, he is able to propel the business owner to new heights with a wide-range of knowledge given during each coaching session.
"Of the Small Businesses that fail, over 90% do so because of a lack of skills
and knowledge on the part of the owner" ...Dunn and Bradstreet